Paradise Valley AZ was originally cattle country with open grazing. In 1889 the Rio Verde Canal Company surveyed the area for the first time. The surveyors were so impressed by the idyllic and peaceful area on the north side of Camelback Mountain that they named it Paradise Valley.
Paradise Valley Town History
It wasn’t until after World War 2 that the area began to attract settlers. Paradise Valley started as a rural residential area with very few commercial businesses. Most of the homes were modest in size and style but were on large 1-5 acre parcels in then unincorporated Maricopa County.
In the 1950’s Phoenix and Scottsdale began to expand their boundaries. Residents of Paradise Valley feared that they would lose their rural lifestyle if Phoenix or Scottsdale annexed the area. Locals wanted to avoid commercial development and keep lot sizes to a minimum of one home per acre. They also wanted to keep government regulation to a minimum and avoid property taxes. The Citizens Committee was formed to attempt to incorporate the Town of Paradise Valley. They petitioned residents to join them in their efforts to incorporate Paradise Valley. In April 1961 the Citizens Committee submitted their proposal to the Maricopa County Planning & Zoning Commission. Finally the Town of Paradise Valley was officially incorporated on May 24, 1961.
The Town of Paradise Valley started with a population of approximately 2000. The first Town Council was formed and it spent most of its early years establishing zoning rules and the Planning and Zoning Commission. The borders of the Town of Paradise Valley were finally defined by 1968 with a few scattered county islands. Today there is a population of 13,000 and only two county islands remain – the community of Clearwater Hills west of Tatum Boulevard and the Franciscan Renewal Center on Lincoln Drive.
Please call Carmen at (800) 300-0263 to view homes in Paradise Valley. Carmen Brodeur is a Paradise Valley Realtor and Former Attorney. She specializes in luxury homes in Paradise Valley and Scottsdale, AZ.